In This Episode
The Book Evangelists discuss the NPR’s Best Books of 2020 Book Concierge selections, particularly Books We Wish We Read in 2020
- Why are we so tired after NaNoWriMo?
- Holiday Baking Traditions: candied orange peels, caramels, carrot cookies, briecelets.
- Reflecting on our NaNoWriMo2020 experiences: finishing our 50,000 words, story structure, missing writing at in person events, word crawls, what we learned.
What is the NPR Book Concierge?
The Book Concierge is NPR’s annual, interactive, year-end reading guide. Mix and match tags to filter results and find the book that’s perfect for you or someone you love.
It’s been a year of reading slump. Marian thought this would be a good idea because we could take a look at what we would have read, if we had a good reading year.
Lissa’s Books We Wish We Read in 2020
Books Lissa Bought, Read, Loved
- Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey
- The Last Emperox by John Scalzi
- Every Reason We Shouldn’t by Sara Fujimura
Books Lissa Started but Didn’t Finish, Yet
- Loathe At First Sight: A Novel Suzanne Park
- The Roommate by Rosie Danan
- The Glass Hotel: A Novel by Emily St. John Mandel
- The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk
- Me And White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change The World, And Become A Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
Books Lissa Has Bought But Not Read, Yet
Books that Look Interesting to Lissa
- Beach Read by Emily Henry
- Slippery Creatures by KJ Charles
- Heart Of Junk: A Novel by Luke Geddes
- Interior Chinatown: A Novel by Charles Yu
- The Invisible Life Of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab
- The Once And Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
- Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times by Katherine May
- Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close by Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman
- The Journeys Of Trees: A Story About Forests, People, And The Future by Zach St. George
Marian’s Book We Wish We Read in 2020
Books Marian Has Bought But Not Read, Yet
- The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel
Books that Look Interesting to Marian
- A Castle in the Clouds by Kerstin Gier, Translated by Romy Fursland
- Beowulf: A New Translation by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Why Fish Don’t Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life by Lulu Miller
- The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson
- A Game of Fox and Squirrels by Jenn Reese
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
- The Human Cosmos: Civilization and the Stars by Jo Marchant
- Glass Town: The Imaginary World of the Brontes by Isabel Greenberg
- The Daughters of Ys by M.T. Anderson Illustrated by Jo Rioux
Next episode: Marian and Lissa read and discuss Erik Larson’s The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz.
Someday we might also like to read and discuss any of all of these titles: The Glass Hotel, A Castle in the Clouds, Why Fish Don’t Exist, The Space Between Worlds, The Once And Future Witches, A Game of Fox and Squirrels, Glass Town, The Daughters of Ys, Interior Chinatown.
Pssst! Want to See Something Cool?
Marian’s first book is launching in February 2021 and the preorder link for the ebook is available here.
Our Show Notes include mentions and recommendations, all linked for your convenience. What else would you like to see here?
Music Credit: The music used during transitions in our podcast is adapted from: Jazzy Sax, Guitar, and Organ at the club by Admiral Bob (c) copyright 2018 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/admiralbob77/58382 Ft: geoffpeters